Harbour Island is serviced by the North Eleuthera, Bahamas airport (Airport Code: ELH), which is two miles away by water. You can fly directly to North Eleuthera from Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Nassau by frequent air commuter and charter services and as well by a “fast ferry” from Nassau, which departs twice daily. From North Eleuthera a quick water taxi will take you to the government dock on Harbour Island.
Flights from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale To North Eleuthera (ELH)
Approx (flight time 1 hour 15 minutes)
- Gulfstream Airlines (a 22 passenger Beech 1900 aircraft) flies direct from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale www.continental.com , (800.231.0856).
- LynxAir filies out of FLL into ELH and GHB on a regular schedule.
- US Airways operates direct round trip service daily from Miami every afternoon on a 38 passenger Dash 8. www.usair.com , (800.428.4322).
- Twin Air from Ft. Lauderdale (954.359.8266) operates out of its hangar at FLL, and re-enters the country via the Fort Lauderdale Jet Center, a few minutes' drive from FLL Airport..
Flights from Nassau to North Eleuthera
(Approx flight time 20 minutes)
- Southern Air currently operates flights at 7:00 a.m, 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. (242) 323-7217/323-6833).
- Bahamasair is another intra-island option (800.222.4262).
- Cherokee Air, run by Captain Faron Sawyer.
- Dove Wings is an excellent charter service out of White Crown Aviation at ELH ... ask for Captain Ed Hanna.
Ferry from Nassau to Harbour Island
(Approx travel time is two hours)
The Bahamas Fast Ferry is a 177-person passenger ship that travels regularly from Nassau to Harbour Island. See www.bahamasferries.com (242.323.2166) for more information.
Tips for traveling from New York City
Delta ( www.delta.com ) usually offers early morning departures from LaGuardia to Nassau and late afternoon return flights. Continental (www.continental.com ) has regularly scheduled flights out of Newark and LaGuardia, to Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Nassau. Jet Blue (www.jetblue.com ) and Spirit Airlines (www.spiritair.com) also fly to Ft. Lauderdale.
Note: All schedules and times are subject to change.
Please check with airline or boat for most recent information
A valid passport or both a drivers' license and original birth certificate (not a photocopy) are required for US citizens traveling to the Bahamas. There is a $15 (cash) departure tax for each tourist leaving the Bahamas.